Irkutsk is a unique, ancient city, the capital of Eastern Siberia. The proximity to Lake Baikal makes it a real tourist center, every year thousands of Russian and foreign tourists visit Irkutsk.
You will have a fascinating excursion to the historical center of the city, during which you will get acquainted with the history and culture of the city. You will see magnificent churches of the city, places associated with the Decembrists, enjoy the architectural ensemble of the city center and get acquainted with the numerous monuments of the city.
Irkutsk was founded in 1661 on the bank of the Irkut River, from which the name of the city took place. In 2011, Irkutsk celebrated its 350th anniversary.
Irkutsk's favorable geographic location at the intersection of many trade routes has largely determined its history and development. The city became a kind of "window to the East", all expeditions organized to the Far East, Mongolia, China, Alaska were formed in Irkutsk. From here began the settlement of the banks of the Amur.
In the 1840s, Irkutsk became the gold mining center of Eastern Siberia, and Irkutsk merchants - the richest in Siberia. The construction of the Trans-Siberian railway through Irkutsk led to the strengthening of economic and cultural ties between the Siberian city and European Russia, and its role as the administrative center of the vast region. During the tour you will visit:
- Historical center of Irkutsk city – it's beginning, the place of Irkutsk's fortress
- Eternal flame devoted to the Great Patriotic War
- Different monuments of Irkutsk (Aleander the 3, Lenin, Gagarin e. t. c.
- Polish church. The church of our Savior. Epiphany church.
- The Monument of founders of Siberia
- Moscow's Gates
- Main square of the city – Kiroff's square.
- City council
- 130 quarter
- Znamenski nunnery
- The place of execution of Kolchak, the monument to Kolchak
- Karl Marks Street – one of the oldest streets of Irkutsk
- Dram Theatre of Irkutsk
- Walk along the embankment of Angara river
If desired, you will visit the Museum of Local Lore, the museum of the history of the city of Irkutsk, the estate of V.P. Sukacheva
Also, your attention is also offered to the Irkutsk Krestovozdvizhenskoy church, one of the highest points of the city, which offers a beautiful panoramic view of the capital of the Angara. Here you can see the work of the bell ringer and hear the sound of old church bells.